Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Different Story (World of Lust and Crime) by Peter Schilling

I vacillated for a while on whether to lead off with a well-known anthem, like something by Depeche Mode or Erasure, or something more obscure, like a non-single released track by an artist like John Foxx or something. In the end, I went with an "almost hit" by one-hit wonder, Peter Schilling. "The Different Story (World of Lust and Crime)" got some minor play on the dance charts in the US in 1989. (This isn't the one hit I'm referring to by Schilling; that would be "Major Tom" which I'll probably post sometime down the line.)

This song has a very classic "new wave" i.e., fully defined synthpop sound as it appeared in the height of it's popularity. I discovered this one when it was fairly new still, but my own musical tastes were fully developed, and my trending towards the art/pretentious "new wave" side of electronic music was in full swing.


1 comment:

  1. I surprisingly remember this when it came out, always loved the guy wandering around blowing the wooden accordion/recorder/whistle thing.

    ReplyDelete