Friday, March 13, 2015

The Quiet by Harm Joy

Harm Joy is a literal translation of the German term schadenfreude which we already use in English quite a bit to refer to laughing at someone else's misfortune.  I've just discovered them recently; they're an electroduo that makes synthpop with a strong darkwave or coldwave influence.  Darkwave and coldwave, as you might expect, tend to be on the darker and colder end of mood and tone for synthpop (and other post-punk new wave too, for that matter) and are overtly associated with the goth movement.  While I'm not goth myself, I'm sympathetic to, and in fact a big fan of, a lot of outfits that later became foundational to goth music; Depeche Mode, Clan of Xymox, The Cure, Cruxshadows, etc. in particular.  So as long as the goth isn't too heavily applied, or degenerates into self-parody, which isn't all that hard to do, I appreciate a bit of that vibe.  Harm Joy has just about the right amount of it without going over the top.  Great vocals too, although you can tell that they're not native English speakers on occasion due to awkward sentence structure or vocabulary.  Nothing that Germans like Camouflage or De/Vision wouldn't do on occasion.

I would have liked to find a lyrics version of "The Quiet," probably my favorite song of theirs, but I couldn't so you'll have to watch the official video.  I've noticed, in at least two or three official videos, that they have a very odd tendency to make videos where they are abusing goth girls in their underwear, so I recommend being wary; you may want to listen to the song without actually watching much of the video.


No comments:

Post a Comment