Friday, February 6, 2015

Perfect Wine by Shades of Grey

I've mentioned before that one of the things that has often made me appreciate music more was the hunt that I had to undertake to find them, back in the day prior to the internet, Youtube and more.  These days, this really isn't much of a thing.

But, I'm going to do something a little different and highlight a song that I can't find on the internet anymore.  It's not on Spotify (at least the original, unremixed version isn't, although a more danceable remix is.)  It's not on youtube.  The label that released the CD is defunct and the website is long gone.  I can't find it for sale on Amazon, iTunes, eBay or anywhere else.  Heck; even discogs.com is missing this compilation (although here it is on allmusic.)

Rather than listening to the track, you're going to have to actually go and find it.  And it'll be challenging.  I can't find it.  But then again; I don't have to.  I bought the actual CD that it was originally released on back in 1998 or 1999 or so.  (As an aside, it just came up on my shuffle play on my phone while commuting today, which is what made me think of it again.)

In fact, since 50 Shades of Grey was released after this group had already stopped working, Google isn't even particularly helpful.  You'll get all kinds of wrong results.  Good luck!

Shades of Grey was a southern California team made up of two brothers.  I actually have not only this song, a Synthphony Records compilation called The United Synthpop of America Vol. 1 (of 1, as it turns out, although there was also a United Synthpop of Europe release) but both their one album and their one EP.

The vocals are a little pitchy, but it's almost as if that was a deliberate stylistic choice.  "Perfect Wine" is a beautiful, hauntingly melodic and even romantic track, and is largely considered; or at least it was so back when the synthpop fan scene was smaller much smaller--probably the best song of the group.  Although Shades of Grey always seemed to have pretty good buzz in the scene, they weren't very prolific, and they've been gone for a long time now, it seems; 2001 was their last release that I can find.


No comments:

Post a Comment